Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Pan! Tortillas! Pan Dulce!

These words we’re being yelled outside our window last night as we were eating dinner. (“Bread, Tortillas, Sweet Bread!”) A couple seconds later we had a knock at our door, and the man said the same thing “Pan, Tortillas, Pan Dulce” So I turned to Spencer who just kind of shrugged his shoulders. I told the man, “No thanks…” Not really knowing what offer I had just declined, and watched him through the peep-hole knock on other doors yelling the same words. After we finished our dinner (which happened to be some breakfast burritos Spencer whipped up) I curiously peeked through the blinds to see our whole complex flocking together behind a truck. I got a picture from our family room while we found some cash around the house and joined our neighbors outside. To our surprise it was like a little “Pasteleria-On-Wheels” The back of the truck was full of Mexican pastries, empanadas, breads and tortillas. Spencer put a couple in a bag while I got the courage to snap a few pictures. It was the strangest thing. Like an icecream truck for adults – minus the music. Spencer told me they’re rather common in Mexico, it’s just something you don’t see everyday in Provo. Well, maybe South Provo. The goods were pretty good and rather cheap. I guess we’ll have to keep a look out for the next time the bakery on wheels rolls by.

7 comments:

Loraine said...

How convenient to get a mexican dessert to go with your mexican entree the timing couldn't have been better.

Lana Dawn said...

you do really live in little mexico.

i miss you!

John and Emily said...

hahah remember when we used to go to taco time and get empanadas....YUM!

byufish said...

What the...I thought I already commented. Makes me laugh!! But now you've got "free delivery"...who knew eh? Bonus for your location!

Stacey Salmon said...

Come visit soon!!! Bring Nathan with you. Yes there is a Golden Spoon!!!
SS

mj said...

Ha ha ha. I can't believe the mexican ice-cream truck. I wish I lived in Provo...oh wait I live in Houston. I think if I open my eyes I might just find one. I love that story.

MJ

Stacey Salmon said...

I hope you do have a girl!!!! I would LOVE to sew something for you.
SS